TCHDC completed the substantial renovation of Northgate Woods, a 75 unit affordable property in Blaine, MN, in November 2011. In 2012 Northgate Woods was nominated for an MHA MADACS (Multi housing Acheivement in Design, Adversiting and Community Support) Award in the area of Complete/Total Building Renovation. The Minnesota Multi Housing Association acknowledges the MADACS awards as the most honored award given in recognition of superior contributions to the multi housing industry.
The newest addition to the TCHDC portfolio is St. Philip’s Gardens. St. Philip’s Gardens is a property with significant relevance to the Summit-University area. In 1972, it was developed by the small inner-city church, St. Philip’s Episcopal, as housing for the working poor of the community. St. Philip’s Episcopal Church was started in 1894 as St. Philip’s Mission. The church served the African American community for over a century and grew to a multicultural congregation serving the area, while retaining the special African American warmth, spirit, and music.
Last December, in partnership with East Side Neighborhood Development Company, we began the substantial rehab of 48 units on the East Side of St. Paul. The project also includes the addition of three new units. At the completion of the project, there will be 51 units of high- quality affordable housing in an area that has seen tremendous disinvestment and deterioration for many years.